Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Gratitude and Contentment


This tip is a simple one, and I am reminded of it every time I perform--Gratitude.

In these tough economic times, I try to turn my mind to being grateful for what I am doing instead of getting nervous about how my calendar is filling up. And when a gig doesn't seem to go just as planned, I don't let it get to me. Instead, I think about how wonderful it is to be providing music for someone's special day or special event. Truly, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.

Performing is never boring. Every wedding, every gig is different. Especially when I'm playing for a wedding, I think about the great honor it is to provide music for a very special day in someone's life. I love being part of the celebration!

Musicians whom I interviewed for my book, "The Musician's Guide to Brides" had this to say about playing for weddings:

"...It's my job, and I love it and love weddings. People are usually happy and a bit excited, the locations are usually beautiful, and music makes a meaningful contribution to the atmosphere of a significant event in people's lives."--Gwyneth Evans, Concert and Celtic Harpist

"Making a living playing music at wedding is to move, touch, and inspire others."--Seán Cummings, eighth generation bagpiper

"You play for people who might not have heard live music in years. And when things go right (and they usually do) the room is filled with joyful tears and heartfelt laughter. What's not to like?"--Tim Goldsmith, Red Davidson Trio

"I found it to be a very immediate gratification for music. People come up to you right away and thank you and compliment you vs. the symphony where the people are distant and clap politely for 15 seconds and leave!"--Van Vinikow, The Supreme Being of "The String Beings" string trio/quartet

"I love music!"--Destiny, Harpist from the Hood

What about you? What are you grateful for in your gigging experience? Does a feeling of contentment get you through the rough spots when a wedding gets crazy? And if you aren't a musician, have you experimented with taking gratitude to work with you? If so, how has it changed things? Do share your thoughts by adding your comments below. I'll cover some great ways to demonstrate your gratitude in the next blog entry...

The attitude of gratitude and hundreds of other tips are included in my book "The Musician's Guide to Brides" available wherever Hal Leonard Books are sold: music and bookstores, and through online retailers including sheetmusicplus.com, Amazon.com, and of course, at my website at www.celticharpmusic.com

I'm looking forward to reading your stories, comments, and feedback.

Anne :-)

Anne Roos
Celtic Harp Music by Anne Roos

(And contact me at anne@celticharpmusic.com for personal consultation and mentoring-Make a living while gigging)

No comments: